Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tuesday, Oct. 11

Treatment was scheduled for 10:00.  Yesterday went well, but we only had time for 1 unit of blood (another detour--antibody stuff). The second unit was scheduled for this afternoon.  May still happen tonight.
 
Dr. Kumar first needed to visit because the final culture for TB (taken Oct. 1 I believe) showed positive. However, an Infectious Disease Center follow-up determined around 2:35 that there was no TB.  Her journey is on a road that only has detours.
 
Kathy started Saline around 10:30 and then the anti-nausea bag, but chills were growing and a fever took over.  The Vidaza bag was stopped at 11:15, only 8 minutes finished out of a 30 minute bag.
 
The short of it is that the fever was strong and tenacious at by 12:30 Dr. Kumar said she would be best served in the hospital.  Kathy ended up in a private room around 3:30, wearing a mask again to keep her as germ-protected as possible. 
 
They can't pinpoint the cause of her current fever, and aren't sure that pneumonia was the culprit in the Sept. 25-Oct. 3 hospital stay.  So here we go again.
 
Kathy felt better by the time she got to the hospital room, especially compared to how she felt between 11 and 2:30-ish.
 
She lost a lot of fluids when she vomited in the early afternoon but is happy to have cups of ice chips.
 
Sometime in the midst of all this, Kathy wondered out loud: "Am I bringing this (fever) on myself?"  I blame the mask and her sickly state on the fact that I heard her words to be "My brain is on the shelf."   We had a good laugh at my confusion, and she graciously pointed out that I often say "What?" to something she says even when there is no mask or fever in sight.
 
Around 1:45, with a fever around 105 and a stomach still unpredictable, Kathy struck up a conversation with a lady across the room (most of the patients had long since finished) and found a lot of common ground (the lady was in brother Rob's grade school class).  An unusual time and place to make a new friend.
 
For now, visits won't work.  Even our 3 kids will stay away.  It's a germ thing.
And my ability to return phone calls seems to be diminishing from a high point of unreliable to a lower point of undoable. I plan to spend more time at the hospital.
 
However, I will try to post something every day and hope that will keep you in the loop. 
 
Be well.  Stay the course.
 
John

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Dad. I feel so helpless from here. Send Mom my love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for the update John. So sorry to hear of everything Kathy is experiencing. Take care of yourself too. I think I'll try that one on Rob,"Your brain is on the shelf." It has a nice ring to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given all that you're going through, John, I can see why Kathy would tell you that your brain is on the shelf. I've actually thought that for years, but never had the nerve to say anything. Go, Kath!! Take the fight in you to the bank!

    I love you both.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete