Thursday, October 20, 2011

I'm baaaack!

Dear family and friends,



Thank you so much  for all of the support you have given me and John while I've been on hiatus at Club Med, aka the hospital.  Your thoughts, prayers, good vibes and emanating love have sustained me and lifted me up during dark times when it all seemed futile.   And, so now here I am, fever free at the moment and able to actually focus on a few thoughts.



First, a shout out to my ghost writers!  THANK YOU!



I recently came across a poem I wrote in the '80s which actually seems more relevant in the present time.  It will never appear in an anthology, but it accurately describes my state of mind.



The Butterfly Dance

An old woman who looks like me
Is dancing the butterfly dance.
Flutter by, butterfly.


One of the great pleasures of my life is watching the elegant butterfly soar, glide, dip and dive among the coneflowers and black-eyed Susans, stopping to rest long enough to be oohed and aahed over. I feel compelled to offer encouragement as I think about the hard work that lies ahead for this wonder of nature. Safe journey, Bella! – shouldn't butterflies have names, too? – I hope to see your child next year!

Whimsy? Not entirely. There is a lot of similarity between the chronically ill human and the dancing butterfly. There are times, between fevers, when I must remind myself how important it is to restore my mind, body, and spirit so I am able to reach my destination (whatever that may be) knowing I twirled and whirled at least as hard as my hero, Ms. Bella Butterfly.

11 comments:

  1. Oooo--Your poem and prose moved me to tears. Honest and soul searching. You are such a good writer, and this blog provides you with a vehicle for expressing your inner feelings.

    Welcome back, Kathy. It must be so good to be home. I'm praying for you that the fevers will stay away for a very long time.

    I love you, sizzler.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are home and fever free Kathy! What a fitting poem~an apt and eloquent expression for life as it is for you right now. Sending love and hugs and wishes that the fever will remain at bay. judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. In honor of your homecoming, here's my poem:

    The fevers are furtive and mean.
    They kept you in close quarantine.
    Your ways made them few
    As fevers eschew
    The girl who can sew and can clean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, whirling & twirling,

    Your poem reminds me of your mother, actually.

    Much love,

    Elizabuffy

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear some good news. We're thinking about you lots.
    Love, M & M O'Sullivan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back. I follow every day. You have such a talent for writing. I so enjoy it. Take care, my dear. I think of you all the time. Love you, Anne McQuaid

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home! We are tracking your progress here in Denver while sending good vibes your way. Stay well!
    Much love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy and John,

    I am elated to hear that you are finally home and are fever free. Our best wishes and prayers continue to come your way.

    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  9. We send our love and good wishes to you and John.
    Pat and David

    I see a lovely lady dancing with a butterfly
    She twists and turns
    And nary a fever burns!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy, Jim & I are so happy to hear that your fever has stayed away and your home from the hospital. You and John are in our thoughts and prayers. So glad your back writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for letting me bring Quinn by to meet you. You're practically my second family so it goes without saying how much it meant to see you. Kathy, regardless of the hairdo, I think you looked fantastic! I love you guys so much.

    ReplyDelete