Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thursday, 10/13/11 1:00

Of course, since Kathy's journey seems to be an endless series of detours, yesterday's post was, unfortunately, premature. 
 
I left my notes at the hospital, so the sequence is muddled, but the detour is a familiar one.
 
Early in the evening the chills started.  Soon the temp started to rise.  The blankets came off, ice packs were positioned, and the temp spiked somewhere between 104&105.  A Doctor ordered a different antibiotic but Kathy was hesitant because of the side effects.  It (Vacon for short) can trigger a redness or flushing of the skin, so it is referred to as Redman's whatever.  Unfortunately (I can type that word with, unfortunately, great dexterity) a good deal of itching, especially of the scalp, accompanies the flushing.  Kathy was also a bit weary of the reality she blames on no one--only trial and error strategies are available in a game with a fairly clear ending.  But after a healthy discussion between Kathy and her night nurse and the pharmacist (just two of the many, many wonderful people who provide remarkable care) is was clear that the new anti-biotic might be able to take out a Bug that was resistant to the antibiotics used so far.  Kathy said yes, did itch, and somewhere in the sequence the temp started to drop.
 
(I can't do justice to Kathy's phrasing of her acceptance of the new drug--in essence she shared with the nurse and pharmacist that her maiden name was Ruddy, which is only fitting for a person who is about to turn red.  Laughter released the tension in all of us)
 
I decided to get some supper (it was 10:30) and lock up the house and return for the night to keep her company in case she got an itch.  Oops.  Rephrase that.
 
Since Kathy is on the floor used for moms and newborns, there is a chair that converts to a bed.  As with all such dual purpose furniture, it came equipped with the requisite iron bar that was positioned perfectly to inflict pain across the middle of the back.  Fortunately, I could skrunch or skooch towards the end and slept fairly well until 4:40. 
 
I slept more at home and then went over with the paper.  We went through some of that and then had a very good meeting with Lacy, who coordinates palliative care for the hospital.
 
I thank all of you for your interest and support.  I will post again.
 
John

3 comments:

  1. Thank you John and girls for keeping us informed of Kathy's progress and journey. I look every day for a posting. I send you all my love and I feel like I am there with you with your wonderful descriptions. Anne McQuaid

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, tell Kathy I love her so much; she's being very brave and determined.

    It's not that I don't like your entries in the blog, John, it's just that I'm really looking forward to Kathy's unique pearls of wisdom!

    I hope you don't mind my using this comment space as my means of communicating with Kathy. Anyhoo, like I said (and I can't say it enuf), I love you, Kath.

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy and John--Just a note to say you are doing all the right things and doing them very well. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you. I think John has nailed the description of the chair bed! I came to believe that they constructed them so that only the very determined and sleep deprived family members can sleep on them.
    Love and Many hugs --Linda Carole

    ReplyDelete