Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Stages of Being Kathy Dorn

The Seven Ages of Man
From As You Like It                                         A Few Stages of 
                                                                               Being Kathy Dorn
By William Shakespeare

Age 1
Third Grade
All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players,
T
hey have their exits and entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
Then, the whining schoolboy with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the  pard,
Jealous in honour, sudden, and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice
In fair round belly, with good capon lin'd,
With eyes severe, and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws, and modern instances,                         
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slipper'd pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose, and pouch on side,
His youthful hose well sav'd, a world too wide,
For his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice,
Turning again towards childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.
Engagement Photo, 1965
Maryetta and Kathy, Junior High
Kathy Birk and Cora Birk, 2010
Mr. and Mrs. Dorn, 1966
I tried to put these photos in order, but it was taking too long and I need to finish packing for my extended vacation at the U.  I think you can get my drift.


John reminded me of this passage from Shakespeare's play, As You Like It.  I think it is apropos of the human condition., but of course the first lines are brilliant.  We are merely players.
So, might as well play well.

I will try to add to this blog this week, but if you don't hear from me or one of my surrogates, this act of this play is going well.

The Caringbridge site has not been established yet. When it is, we'll forward the information.


I love you, cherish you, and look forward to spending time with you during the next act.


The address of the place where we are staying:
Hope Lodge
2500 University Ave. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414
612.379.6352
cancer.org/hopelodgeminneapolis

One note about the Hope Lodge: they will not accept floral or plant deliveries. Neither will the hospital. If you were thinking of sending some, don't bother. Save your money, or send some to yourself and enjoy them in my honor. 


50th Class Reunion, 2011
Happy to Be Me, 2008
Sans Hair, April 4, 2012
Maryetta and Kathy, April 4, 2012Showing Solidarity
Wigged Out, April 4, 2012

     Happy Easter!
'Twas Easter-Sunday. The full-blossomed trees
Filled all the air with fragrance and with joy.
                   ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

 

10 comments:

  1. This is extraordinary, Kathy, so inspiring, deep and whimsical at the same time. Thanks for putting this together. (You truly look cute bald, by the by!)

    I offered up Sunday Easter Mass for you. Here's hoping prayers go a long way as you embark on this stage of your journey. Pray to the Blessed Virgin -- she is so lovely and loves you, and is so willing to help you.

    You are a beautiful woman, Kathy. I love you!
    ~Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red threads, dutifully hanging on,
    Sticking out from skin,
    Within which little pale arrows in tentative array,
    Push and jostle for their day.
    Oh, Kathleen, my little sister, your red hair
    was never more ready to be minted into silver.

    Love and kisses, Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will look even more alike! Lovely poem.

      Love,
      Kathy

      Delete
  3. I loved the pictures. You look pretty cute bald. The picture with the wig is great. I will be thinking of you every day. Love you dear friend. Anne McQuaid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should I add the photo of you and I in our swim suits?

      Love you, too!

      Kathy

      Delete
  4. I just saw your new 'hair' - love it. All the life photos of you are wonderful - what a good idea. Somehow you always look good - I think because of your lovely smile and twinkling eyes and beautiful interior! I hope your 'vacation' is going well. You're in my thoughts daily - and at night when I can't sleep and look over at your dark house. Miss you! Blessings and miracles, Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking up the plant watering duty. I'll be needing to get rid of them once I get home. Boo Hoo! If you start to get attached to any of them, let me know. :-) The spider plants are from a plant I rescued when my mom died. It had been neglected during her illness and was ready to be tossed when I intervened and brought it home. Many shoots have since been planted and placed in other homes.
      Thanks for all you do, neighbor.

      Love,
      Kathy

      Delete
  5. Hi Kathy, Mom has been keeping me updated. Hopefully all the glitches get worked out and everything will go as planned. And you without your hair, look SO much like a female version of Tom. There is no denying the strong Ruddy family resemblance. NOW you know how Tom and Marty and I feel :) Well todays my birthday and we are all going out for Texas BBQ, followed by a few Margaritas at my favorite watering hole. It's supposed to start raining so although we might get wet on our bikes, we need the moisture and we'll take every drop we can get.

    Keep up being as positive as you have been, and know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Say Hello to John, Chris, Becka, Megan, Rob and everyone else

    Love Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday, Scotty!!
      Wish I could join you for margaritas. Have a great time and say hello to any of the rellies that are partying with you. Yeah, Peter captured some great photos of Tom and me all hairless. We are definitely related!!
      Love,
      Kathy

      Delete