Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hurry Up and Wait

Hey, I've got nothin' but time, so I can't complain.  I'll concede, however, to being disappointed when we were told today that I can't be admitted to the hospital to start the process--which, by the way, is a BIG FAT GO--until next week because there were so many "closings" recently (sounds like real estate instead of medicine) and the BMT Unit is full.  I guess I'm first on the list and will be called when an opening occurs.  Now Rob can either get his growth factor shots and  donate his cells according to the original timetable (his stem cells can be frozen until I need them, although that isn't the U's usual protocol -- I was assured that, although some frozen cells will likely die in the thawing process, previously frozen cells are just as viable as "fresh" cells) or he can stay in MN longer in order to donate the cells at the same time I need them.  Rob's got plenty of time coming to him at work, but I hate to see him have to hang around when they say frozen will do.  Plus he and his wife have a dog who's staying with a friend and they didn't want to be away from her too long.  We'll get it all sorted out.  At first I was a little upset about this new turn of events, but in mulling it over, I realized it's no biggie.  In my lifetime, I've been someone who gets my panties in a knot over the small stuff, but am not too fazed by ginormous challenges.  Go figure!  I'm learning.

So...looks like next week sometime will be when it starts for me.  My job is to stay healthy until then.  I'm going to continue to stay at the Hope Lodge, instead of going home, because the environment is really so controlled, and if I did pick up something, I'd like to be cared for at the U.

I wish I had brought my sewing machine with me.  I probably could be halfway through a quilt by now.  Wah, wah, wah!

Now I probably have time to commit a crime, say bank robbery, because after the transplant I can pin it on Rob.  I find it fascinating that I will have his DNA afterwards.  We've made many jokes about that, naturally--one can never tire of those sibling jokes at one sibling's expense.

Speaking of my baby brother the Bank Robber, here's a photo of him with me and my younger sister, Betsy, taken last week at the Lodge.


Also, here are some photos taken at the Ruddy gathering last week, courtesy of Betsy's husband, Pete.

Me and my quasi-twin brother, Tom. 
If Rob will agree to shave his head, then Tom, Rob and I can be quasi-triplets!

Tom and I do have a connection besides bald heads and ample flesh.  He's had my right kidney since 1996.  I was a perfect match for him.  I found out today that since Rob was a perfect match for me, Rob and Tom would be perfect matches to each other as well.  It's a little Ruddy syllogism.  Well, isn't that special!





Here's my other brother, John, trying out my wig.  Some of us were reminded of Robin Williams (only not quite as hilarious).






                                     
Missing was my older sister, Ann, who would have loved to be here with her brothers and sisters.

We missed you, Ann Rae!


Love to all of you.  I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

  1. This is great news, Kathy!! I was OCD all day looking for the verdict of go vs. no go. Thanks so much for posting so quickly to relieve all of us who are so neurotic. I'll have to re-read your blog to get all the details down, but I've got the basics: you and Rob are a TEAM. Yay!

    I love you, girl.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that it is a GO. YEA!. It was fun to see the pictures of your siblings. I have not seen them in years. They look great. I had not thought about you having your brothers DNA. That is very interesting. Keep us posted on your progress. Love you loads, Anne McQuaid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, if I knew how to pack up your machine and supplies, I'd bring it to you. Want your knitting basket? :) I'm so happy for the good news. Just wish they had a bed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KATHY: YOUR SPIRIT AND THE LOVE YOU GET FROM EVERYONE WHO KNOWS YOU WILL SEE YOU THROUGH THIS PAGE IN YOUR HISTORY. STAY STRONG.........AND LOVE YOUR GOD.

    JAN HEISER

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweetheart, It was a relief to read this latest post. I could finally exhale.

    At this point in time you are thinking about quilting? Quilting? When I read that I thought, "how I would pass the time should I be in your shoes?" First thoughts: watching the full seasons of "Breaking Bad"; organizing my boxes of family pictures; writing that tell-all novel about my ex-husband. Humbled, I concluded that knitting is about as good a thing to do as anything. Knit on; purl on, little sister.

    Oh, know how much I love you,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete