Wednesday, September 21, 2011

An Update from John


This is Kathy’s blog, but she asked me to fill in for the last few days.
I can’t match her style so I won’t try.

And I’ll start with a disclaimer.  If the following is confusing, it is because it is confusing.

Kathy was scheduled to get a port on Friday the 16th and start chemo on Monday the 19th.
But on Wednesday the 14th Kathy identified the symptoms for a bladder infection and we went to Urgent Care and things took a while and by the end of the day the analysis did not confirm a bladder infection.

We went in early on Thursday the 15th for the bloodwork (CBC—Complete Blood Count) because we were sure she would need a transfusion on that day before she could have the surgery.  
But the results were slower getting to us because usually the bloodwork was ordered by her oncologist but this time the surgeon was the primary Dr. and he was naturally checking her platelets (which were low) and…anyway, the transfusion was pushed to Friday the 16th and the surgery moved to Monday the 19th.

So on Friday we went to Andreas Cancer Center at 11:00 for blood and maybe platelets (it’s a bit of a blur) and finished up around 4ish.

But by Monday the 19th Kathy knew the urine analysis would reveal that she did have a bladder infection.  It did.
She was given antibiotics and the surgery was moved to Friday the 23rd.
But today (Tuesday the 20th) she felt especially weak and unsteady and stayed on the couch most of the day.  Her temp got up to 102.6 and after talking to an oncologist nurse and an urgent care nurse who talked to the Dr. who treated her bladder infection the day before we headed to the ER around 4:30.  Four hours later, with a much emptier stomach but a broken fever (hooray), a few x-rays (no pneumonia—hooray) and another CBC (bloodwork—low hemoglobin—6.6—not good at all) we came home.

It is almost midnight.

I’ve been summoned to get some sleep.

To be continued.

Wednesday a.m.

Not much to add.  It may be a transfusion day.  If normal hemoglobin level is 12-14, 6.6 is below any acceptable level. 

John

PS  Throughout all these days, the people at the Mankato Clinic and the Mayo Clinic/Hospital have been working cheerfully and tirelessly to make the best of a bad situation.  The ripple effects of bad blood are rather daunting.  When the doors are off their hinges and the windows are broken and holes in the roof are widening it’s a challenge to deal with changes in the weather.  The staff is helped, of course, by Kathy.  The number of  times she says “Thank You” in one day is uncountable.  But she has never been one to take daily acts and expressions of kindness for granted.  I am trying to follow her example. 
Thank you for listening.

4 comments:

  1. Good Aunt and Good Uncle, I am with you in heart and spirit and energy and feeling! My love for the two of you is so deep in my soul because you impacted and improved my life from very early on...in ways I'm sure you don't know and in ways I hope I can someday soon express. As I read about your medical steps of your journey, I find myself seeking solace in the words, in the mantra, given to me by my father from his journey..."It is what it is". My dad often said those words to me...both in regard to his journey and the unexpected things that came up day-to-day, and to my own personal journey, of that same time, which was also filled with fear and heartache of a completely different nature. His acceptance of "It is what it is" taught me invaluable lessons of how to approach my own life, my own fears, my own obstacles and most importantly, my own feelings of how to deal with difficult situations. I share the mantra with you, from a place of love and support, in case you and your children find comfort in the words and the idea as well! You sharing YOUR journey is priceless to all who love you. Your strength, your humor, your humility, your candor, your wisdom which you are able to impart now will be a lasting gift, a part of your legacy, to so many. I thank you for granting me a "ticket" on your journey. I thank you for the gifts you are giving me and the memories of your love & support & strength that you have awakened in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I have a very good idea who anonymous is, in fact, I'd bet my life on it. Anyway, he sums up what I think about you, omitting just one adjective I'd add, and that is you are such a LADY. You have great dignity, and I trust you with all my heart. You know my secrets, and I thank you for keeping them that way.

    Get your hemoglobin up, sis! I will pray for you. I love you.

    ~Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of you so often Kathy. Sharing your journey this way and reminding all of us just how interwoven we all are is truly a gift. And I thank you and send you love and all best wishes right NOW. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The anonymous comment above was beautifully written and expressed so perfectly. The advice to embrace "what is" is exactly what all of us are being asked to do, as hard as it is. To whomever anonymous is: "Thank you."
    ~Ann Rae, Kathy's sister

    ReplyDelete