Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Original "Kat" in the Hat

I've been waiting a long time to use this photograph of me with my grandmother, aunt, and third cousin, from right to left, respectively.  I think now is perfect.  You may chuckle over the old folks, but look again.  What in hell possessed me to buy that outrageous hat!  Do you think I was trying to out-old my relatives?  Was I hiding a pitcher of martinis and a jar of olives in it?  Was the Bishop coming and I wanted to have a better hat than he?  I cannot fathom any good reason to have plunked down good money for that monstrosity.

However, now I wonder if it might make a good chemo cover should my hair fall out.  I could pull it down over my missing eyebrows, if necessary.  Hat, I mourn the loss of ye.

6 comments:

  1. OK - after I stopped wiping my tears and read this post; I am so glad you are writing! How do you do it? Make me laugh before I can even grab another tissue?
    Kathy - If you need me to make you a hat like this or nearly like this - let me know. In the mean time, my positive thoughts are with you!

    PS - I may need to quit work to keep up with your wit and humor in these writings. But when you aren't feeling witty - I will continue reading your insights. Thanks Kathy. We all want the very best for you!!
    Mary Draper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Sister, Only you could make me laugh and cry at the same time.

    I've seen this photo before, but never with a critical eye. It truly does take a life changing event (in this case, yours) to get a new perspective.

    The ladies in this scene could be from a tableau of great war heroes: Maude as George Washington, Aggie as Ulysses Grant (in drag), Thelma as Florence Nightingale and you as Napoleon.

    I'm sure Dad said before he shot the picture, "Nappy, get that nasty hand out there where I can see it!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any idea how much trouble I've had trying to post a comment? Yes, you know I don't know how to do any of this sh#$%^#! I always just "call Kathy"!!!
    Dearheart, you know I am with you every step of the way on your journey though my heart is sore.I'll help anyway that I can. And remember Mike's offer! I love the photo, thought it was a greeting card one until I recognized Thelma! Thelma before you! The Hat is devine. Wish you still had it. Why would anyone get rid of such a beauty!You know how fasions cycles repeat.Love you,BFF, Maryetta

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want that hat! It would make a great prop or dress up item for the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look like Eleanor Roosevelt without the buck teeth! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Anonymous! I totally concur with your observation. You may be interested to know that in my old age I look more like Ms. Roosevelt WITH the buck teeth! :-)

    ReplyDelete