Wednesday, December 7, 2011

This 'n' That

I'm having a so-so day—wish it were a sew-sew day. I'm feeling a little light-headed, so I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow's blood draw reveals a low hemoglobin. I also have a backache that surfaced last evening out of the blue. Just a little spasm, I suppose, but today was to be a FREE DAY, no aches, no pains. In the meantime, though, I can do a few things including writing on this blog and catching up on my thank you notes.

I've heard from a few people who would like to comment on the blog, but have trouble posting. If you can't get in under your own name, use the Anonymous setting and then sign your name at the end of your comment if you really don't want to be anonymous. However, I want you to know that a response isn't required; I just appreciate that you are with me. Another option is to email me at wtldrn@charter.net.  I treasure hearing from people.

Recently I featured our youngest grandchild, Eliza. You must meet the other three.  
So, here are more photos of the children I love to love.




Here's Sleeping Ruby, 3, Rebekah's youngest.





This is Cora, Ruby's older sister.  She'll be 5 in January.  She'd like her own show on the Disney Channel.














Cora and Ruby with Santa, 
Christmas 2011 













This is Kyle, Eliza's brother.  This photo was taken just as he was waking up on his 7th birthday, his GOLDEN birthday, on October 7th.









 Halloween 2011
John and I are just our scary old selves.  Kyle is Indiana Jones while Eliza the Owl has us all hooting.




One of the very first thoughts I had after my diagnosis was handed down was, I hope I live long enough so the grandchildren remember me. I am especially concerned about Eliza because I haven't had as much time with her and now I can't be with her as much as I would like because of my suppressed immune system. I feel like I'm losing ground somewhat with the others, too. We used to babysit them often and I really miss that. I know it's irrational to worry about this, but I can't seem to shake it.  Some dear colleagues of mine ameliorated the problem by presenting me with a Grandmother Book for each child. Writing in them is not easy as I labor over the most precise and meaningful verbiage, but I hope it will pay off as a way for the kids to keep me in their thoughts. What I really hope is that the chemo treatment buys me some time and I get to the point where we can DO things together again: visit the zoo, bake cookies, read more books, have popcorn and candy at the movies, play house and store, dress up in silly clothes, dance, sing songs, cuddle...

We have Skype, but still...




6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the pix! All so very cute. The Cora on Santa's lap looks like I remember Bekah at about that age (me who never knows who anyone looks like!) and I was struck by the picture of John in the one of the four of you -- he looks more like Santa than Santa! Love them all . . . Thank you. We appreciate your letting us be with you!!!! --k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here I just finished talking with you, and I rush to read your blog to get greater insight into your journey. Kathy, you write so beautifully, able to capture what you're trying to say in just a few words. It was very poignant reading about your goals for your grandchildren. I am hoping that you do live long enough to do the things you want to do with them. Keep up the writing. You always have pearls of wisdom!
    I love you, Kath.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures were great. They are all so beautiful. I love the picture of you and John also. I look forward to reading about you every day. Take care, my dear. Love you, Anne McQuaid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ruds,
    I've been reading but this is the first comment. Your inner strength shows in everything you write...even if you don't always believe you have it. Maybe it comes from all those around you who care so much. Take care, I'll continue to read, the children are beautiful, and say hello to the Mulla of Mankato for me!
    Bob Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved seeing the pix of you and the grandkids - yeah, they'll remember you! Have you thought about getting a voice recorder and recording some of your favorite stories about your life.. . . . because I know you have some!!!
    Blessings and prayers,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy,

    You and your family are awesome - what fun these photos display!

    Your colleagues have provided a terrific project for you to share with your grandchildren. Your writing skills are incredible and we, the reader always 'hear' your voice when you tell us your thoughts and stories. What a gift for your family!
    I also like the voice recordings idea - I hope you make that happen, as well.
    (I secretly tape recorded my father singing with my 2 year old son and it is a beloved treasure now.)
    I hope you and your family have a wonderful Holiday together. Peace.

    ReplyDelete