Sunday, December 4, 2011

Random Ramblings

Health Update

Petechiae. Pronounced puh-TEE-kee-eye.

These tiny red spots showed up last week on my neck and chest, with a few rogue rascals taking up residence on my left temple. While they are not often a problem in and of themselves, they do signal a larger issue, a low platelet count, which can cause internal bleeding. My platelet count on Thursday was 11,000 (normal range starts at 150,000). This precipitated a trip to Camp Dracula for a platelet transfusion. On Friday my count had risen to only 16,000 so off I went for a refill. I'll have another blood draw tomorrow and we'll see...

I completed my second round of drug therapy (Vidaza) last Wednesday. One side effect of Vidaza is that blood counts can get worse before they get better, which is probably why the petechiae showed up. My hemoglobin has actually stabilized around 9 (normal range is 12-15) so my energy level has been much improved. My white blood cell count is low so I must remain vigilant about not exposing myself to germs. My immune system is severely compromised at this time and I'm so vulnerable to infections. Of course, this limits my time spent with the grandkids, which makes me sad.

My third round of Vidaza begins on Dec. 19.  I feel fortunate that, other than the petechiae, I really have had no troublesome side effects of chemo. I've been fever free since Nov. 18 and have not required red blood transfusions since then either. And my hair has not fallen out! Knock on wood.



John snapped this photo of me in Chemo Bay
during  my last round of Vidaza.







Thank You


Again, I must thank all of the folks who are supporting me on my Big Adventure. The outpouring of kindness is astounding. It humbles me beyond words. Some of you get concerned when this blog is silent for a long period of time. I am sorry for that. Let's do it this way: No news is good news.

The Caregiver

When my mother-in-law became incapacitated by dementia, I saw my father-in-law rise to the occasion in ways I never expected. He was an inspiration to us all, lovingly caring for her in their home for a long five plus years. Yes, he had help from family, friends and home health care professionals, but he was the day to day, 24/7 care provider. Through it all I never saw or heard him do or say anything that indicated he wasn't up for the task. Maybe others heard a grumble or two, but I didn't.

Like father, like son. John has taken up the mantle of caregiving with the same brand of selflessness. Always an optimist (he's a glass half full guy, I'm a glass half empty gal), he is truly my rock. I'm convinced it is as hard to be the caregiver as it is to be the one needing the care. I can only hope that, if the tables were turned, I would be as cheerful, willing, and accommodating as my partner of 46 years has been.

John, thank you for learning how to do laundry, including hanging the clothes on the line; thank you for making me toast while I was in the hospital; thank you for vacuuming, dusting, doing the dishes, along with your regular “manly” chores; thanks for putting up all the Christmas decorations (under my supervision); thank you for showing your love in countless ways. I love you, Johnny D.

Say What?

I'm a big fan of Bartlett's Quotations, an indispensable tool when you need someone else's words to express what you are feeling or thinking. Also, it's great when you need to pad your term paper.

Anyway, I have a few favorites to share with you. Feel free to add your own to the mix.

“Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.”
--Will Rogers

“ Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.”
--Marcel Proust

“It's not true that life is one damn thing after another; it is one damn thing over and over.”
--Edna St. Vincent Millay

“The unexamined life is not worth living”
--Socrates

“The web of our life is of a mingled yarn, good and ill together.”
--William Shakespeare

My personal favorite:
“I haven't eaten since yesterday and tomorrow will be the third day.”
--Jorgen Christian Larsen, my Danish grandfather who, according to my mother, uttered these words frequently right before breakfast.

Life's Big Questions

Why does everything new have to get old?

Why do noses and ears continue to grow as we get older?

Why is it that when women get together they invariably disparage their mothers, as in “Ack! I'm turning into my mother!”? Certainly one of their mothers is worthy of admiration, right? And when they say that, don't they realize (as I have) that their daughters will say the same of them?

Will the children of today ever need to learn to tie their shoes or read an analog clock?

One Last Conundrum
Why does one have to get sick to hear the words, we want you to maintain your weight?






.

5 comments:

  1. I hope I turn out like my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good to hear from you. I check every day. I think of you daily and send you love and light. Love you, Anne McQuaid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture. Hats off to you John. You are the best. Love you all. Anne McQuaid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sister, I'm so happy to hear that you are experiencing relatively good health. I want to tell you that are a wonderful writer. Your description of what your life is like now is so honest, almost funny, poignant, and quite informative. I don't know if I can fit "petechiae" into a conversation but I'm going to try. It's really a fun word; too bad it's not so nice a condition.

    I fell off a ladder once and suffered a broken nose (paint can flew up and hit me in the face), a sprained back, and a bruised butt. My first thought as I surveyed the damages was, "I'm so lucky." You might say, "Duh?" Well, I think you are lucky, too. Maybe not in the same way that I could see my situation as lucky but you have been able to see, hear and feel how much you are loved right in the here and now. You have been given a gift of urgency to let your beloveds know how much you love them. Maybe lucky is not the right word; blest might be more accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blest, indeed! Kathy

    ReplyDelete