Thursday, January 26, 2012

Hip-hip-hooray!

I'm not very hip, but I do have hips and one of them is sore.  The  biopsy went just fine today; the wost part was lying still for at least a half hour while my arms and hands got numb and number. Because lidocaine is injected into the site, the pain is actually minimal during the procedure.

We won't know the results of the biopsy until Monday.  The samples must be interpreted by technicians at Mayo in Rochester.  It's a bit unsettling to have to wait, but we are hopeful.  Today's numbers remained respectable, although both the hemoglobin and platelets were lower than on Monday.  The white count is still low, but at least stable.  The bottom line is that I do not need any transfusions this week and that is good news.

Oh--I feel better now that my hair got some attention.  Do you remember that scene in "O, Brother, Where Art Thou?", one of my all time favorite movies, where George Clooney's character reacts to a fire in the barn in which he is sleeping?  He wakes up suddenly and with a wonderfully stricken look, raises a hand to his heavily pomaded hair and remarks, "My hair, my hair!"  I can relate.

We'll keep you posted.  In the meantime, we wish you all the best.

9 comments:

  1. Kathy & John.

    Thanks for keeping all of us up to date. I'm sure everyone reading your blog has great hopes for you. When I don't see anything posted for awhile, I just keep hoping and praying for you and tell myself that no news is good news.
    I'm praying for great news on Monday.
    Mary Ellen Probst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mary Ellen. I cherish your words of encouragement and concern.
      With Love,
      Kathy

      Delete
  2. Positive thoughts for Monday. Love you, Anne McQuaid

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep reading and hoping. You have a wonderful way with words. Thank you for sharing your words, condition, and worries. Jan Janicke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, it is so great to hear from you. I am so appreciative of your support. It warms my soul.

      Love,
      Kathy

      Delete
  4. With good hair, one can face any thing that comes along. I think it even bodes well for a positive outcome.
    Love, Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ann,
      I kind of understand now what a horrible thing Delilah did to Samson. My hair, my hair!
      Love,
      Kathy

      Delete
  5. I forgot I could comment on here, so check your email as we have that movie in common.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete