Wednesday, November 9, 2011

It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want To

Oh, yeah...I've thrown myself a big old Pity Party the last few days.  I know all about being positive in times of health crises; however, emotions hijack my intellect and negative thoughts poison my outlook.  I'm not beating myself up for how I feel -- I think it would be worse if I didn't acknowledge my feelings -- but the hard part is getting back on an even keel, not dwelling on the stinkiest aspects of this stinky experience.

So what does a Pity Party look like?  I submit that most people know because they've thrown one of their own.  (Aside: What's the origin of THROWING parties?  I mean, I've thrown showers, birthday parties, anniversary celebrations and I can't recall even one time when I've actually THROWN something. Just wondering.)  In my case, the party "un-favors" included fear, frustration, sadness, anger, exhaustion -- just overall bitchiness.  OK, so John asks how different is that from my everyday demeanor.  But, seriously and, more importantly, honestly, I am trying to teach myself to embrace these emotions because I think it helps me better appreciate the tiniest of silver linings that appear now and then.  I want to be fully human and that means I need to accept the whole kit and kaboodle of this disease and all of its implications.

Full disclosure -- nobody would want to come to one of my Pity Parties; they're not fun.  There's a lot of crying, arguing, and blaming (self and others).  I think my biggest issue is loss of independence.  I've never wanted to be a diva or princess and consider myself to be fairly self-sufficient.  Now I rely on others for so much and it doesn't sit too well with me.  I know the drill -- other people want to help just as I want to help others -- but it's just so damn hard to accept!

Pity Party's over, folks! Thanks for listening.  Oh, one last thing...cancer sucks!  OK, now it's over.

John and I are heading to Rochester this evening ahead of my appointment tomorrow with Dr. Hogan, one of Mayo Clinic's hematologists.  By the weekend we should know if I am a viable candidate for a Blood and Marrow Transplant (BMT).

John's brother and his wife,  Dave and Pat Dorn, graciously invited us to stay at their home in Rochester when we have appointments.  We are so grateful for their kindness and hospitality.  Plus, Pat will come to our appointments to be another pair of ears.  See, that's one of those silver linings!

Love, kisses and hugs to everyone!

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote two pieces and deleted them. I can't find the words... Just know that your honesty is very moving. I don't have the same prognosis as you yet I don't have that much time left on my hourglass. I am not exactly going out "quietly into the night" and I wouldn't expect you to either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you find some 'positives' in your trip and meetings tomorrow. I'm praying and keeping my fingers crossed. And how appropriate your choice of song! So cry all you want - John, too.
    Just an aside I think you will enjoy:
    Everytime I think of you, Kathy, I start singing "your song". Frankly, I'm getting a bit tired of hearing it (especially sung by me).
    Blessings - Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kathy,

    I am so touched by your honesty. I've been anticipating a letter like this as it is an expected bump in the road that is cancer. Still, it didn't make it easier to read. What I hope your blog has proven to you is that you can write about ANYTHING and we'll still love you.

    I will be thinking and praying for you on Friday.

    Love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your honesty about your fear and frustration is so moving. Your courage in facing the worst inspires me to face the whole of my life in order to embrace its essence -- all of it. Kathy, you are my hero.

    We are holding the two of you in our thoughts and wish you the best! Hopefully all of those really smart and caring people at Mayo can help you figure this out!
    Love, Pat and David

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if I should feel grateful that I can totally block it all or that I have such cute distractions in my little girls. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Giggle!

    I read the lovely post from "Pat and David" - and thought - my goodness! My non-blogging, close-to- the-cuff with emotions parents have amazed me!

    Called mom and Dad to say, "what a lovely post" and found out that there are two (fabulous) Pat and David couples in Aunt Kathy & Uncle John's life!

    Giggle again.

    Liz (Elizabuffy)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Kathy, John, family and friends. You are in my heart and in my prayers. May God comfort and strengthen you during this time.
    Charyl Korpal

    ReplyDelete