Thursday, February 2, 2012

Black and Blue

Judging from the various sized bruises on my limbs, I was fairly confident I'd be needing a boost.  Sure enough, lab tests showed I was low in platelets, just borderline, but we thought it would be wise to fill 'er up with the weekend coming.  Destination: Camp Dracula.  My hemoglobin was borderline, too, but I don't feel drained of energy, so we opted to go without a transfusion.  The fewer transfusions I have, the better, because we reach the point of no return at a much slower pace.

In other news, I did get the results of the bone marrow biopsy.  Bottom line, the disease has not progressed, which is our treatment goal.  Our plan now is to stay with the status quo -- seven days of chemo once a month, transfusions as needed, preventive protocol regarding infections, bone marrow biopsy in another four months.

But, there is another wrinkle to be ironed out.  Backstory:  My oncologist, who is from India, went home for a visit in December.  While he was gone, a transplant surgeon from the University Hospital, Dr. McClune, subbed for him.  One of the first things he said was, "Why have you decided not to have a blood and marrow transplant?"  John and I looked at each other with incredulity.  What th'?  As you may recall from a previous post, I had pretty much decided that a transplant wasn't an option, although the door was left open a crack in case things changed.  Well, there have been some changes.  Most importantly, the disease is under control -- no fevers and fewer transfusions because of better blood counts.  I still don't know if a transplant is something I should pursue, but Dr. McClune made a good case for us to reexamine the possibility.  So, to that end, on February 8th, we will consult with a U of M transplant doctor.  In the meantime, three of my siblings have been tested to determine their eligibility to be donors.  We are still waiting for final considerations.  One of Dr. McClune's main contentions is that I have the most to gain from a transplant because without one I have the most to lose.  Life expectancy is minimal for a person with my type and stage of MDS.  So, it's a bit of a thorny issue.  Do I take my chances that my current chemo treatments will delay the onset of leukemia sufficiently so I can live another year, maybe two, relatively pain free?  Or, do I take my chances that a transplant MIGHT be successful, after a recuperation period of certain pain and struggle, increasing my longevity by a few more years--OR NOT.  It's a classic quality versus quantity dilemma.  My head spins with indecision at this point.  I feel a little like Linda Blair in "The Exorcist" -- without the green puke and a levitating bed. 

Anyway, after next Wednesday, I imagine we'll be able to make a more informed choice.  This will be the third opinion, after all.

On a lighter note, I do have a grandchild story to share.  Seven-year-old Kyle woke up his mom in the middle of the night recently, lamenting that he couldn't sleep because "I am all out of dreams and my eyes won't close."  He has quite a way with words.

May you never run out of dreams.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy,

    Don't ever run out of dreams either. I am glad that the disease has not progressed. We will wait to see what the results are next Wednesday. You are in my thoughts always. Love you, Anne McQuaid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I was so relieved when I read your blog. I found HOPE in your words, and that is such a good feeling. It's a conundrum regarding the transplant. It's good you have your third opinion coming up -- maybe it'll be a tie-breaker.

    Dream on, sis. I love you and miss you.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy,
    The optimism in your latest entry makes me smile. I can only imagine how confusing it is wading through your options. I'm confident that you and John will reach a conclusion that feels right. Thanks for the darling Kyle story. And I'm glad you enjoyed the text messaging abbreviations that were posted on FB. Silly stuff! Hugs. Mary O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy from Mary O's sister Barbara.

      I too loved Kyles story. We don't always give enough credit to what is on the mind of these little guys. A question that I have asked at different times to physicians and that is: what would you do if your wife, mother, child,etc had this illness or cancer . Hope this might be helpful. My best to John too.
      Barbara McL

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Barbara. That's great advice! It's good to hear from you.
      Love,
      Kathy

      Delete
  4. hi Kathy,

    I wish these next days, weeks and months and hopefully years go by with health and happiness. And I agree with Kyle, I have run out of dreams as well, I need more sleep.

    take care, Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul. I appreciate your kind words.
      Love, Kathy

      Delete